Pressing dusty product
Location: United Kingdom
Date: May 2019
The current situation:
The customer used to pack the wood dust in bags without compacting it.
The disadvantages of this were high transport costs and an unstable load. This unstable palletload created problems during the transportation of the finnished goods. In addition, the packaging process, partly due to the dusty structure of the product, was not reliable.
Something had to be done. In order to stay ahead of the competition, the following points had to be solved:
- More efficiency in the packing process
- Less rejection of products due to the unstable load
- Reduction of transport costs (more product to be stacked on same pallet)
- More reliability in the production process, in order to continue to deliver on the promises to customers.
How did we tackle the problem!
The customer used to pack the product loose in bags. We suggested that this product could be compacted in a stable bale. We first did a trial with this. This test went very well, and the idea was born!
Willems has now delivered 2 balers with 2 robots to press the extremely dusty product into perfect angular bales and pack them fully automatically. With a capacity of 600 bales per hour.
What did it do for the customer?
- A stable load therefore no rejeciton of product due to fallen over pallets.
- Reliable installation, as the output does not depend on machine, or operator, or product. Always a guaranteed production!
- Huge savings on transport costs!
- Significant savings on packaging costs. The same quantity is now packaged in a smaller package.
- No more waste due to production problems.